One of the things I loved most about living in the Lower Mainland was the proximity to so many great day trips, places to visit and great camping spots. One of my absolute favourite places for family camping is Sunnyside Campground, located approximately 20 minutes from downtown Chilliwack, BC, or about a 1.5 hour drive from Vancouver. We spent 3 years here at a seasonal site and as a family with young kids, Sunnyside is a great location that is close to so many fun things to see and do – we were never bored. This is a large park so it’s very social camping, perfect for both adults and kids to make new friends!
Sunnyside has a very natural setting, lots of trees and shade. The lake has large swimming areas and an expansive sandy beach, it is pebbly in the water but mostly free of weeds so great for swimming. With 65 acres of gorgeous mountain and lake views, you can find lots do do within the campground itself! Walk or bike, relax on the sandy beach, kids can enjoy one of the playgrounds, walk along the beach and out on the docks, go for a swim, play horseshoes or just relax around your campfire. Sunnyside is also within walking/biking distance along a scenic waterfront path or by road to a fantastic amount of activities and amenities to enjoy – see “Nearby attractions + services” below.
In addition to full hook-up sites, tenting and group sites, Sunnyside has 353 Seasonal full hook-up sites that are open from mid April to September 30th. These fill up quickly and typically there is a waiting list for the upcoming year. RV’s and all items on a site (decks, gazebo’s, etc.) must be removed over the non-season months (October – mid-April).
- 353 Seasonal full hook-up sites
- 104 30-amp Full Hook-Up sites if you’re booking for a night, weekend, etc.
- 134 Tenting Sites: Waterfront and View options available
- Group Campsites: 2 Waterfront Sites, holds up to 50 people each
- Gated Entry
- Waterfront, view, full hookups, tenting sites
- Washrooms and Free Hot Showers
- Pets Permitted (on leash), with pet-swim areas!
- Horseshoe Pits
- Convenience Store
- Boat launch facilities
- Boat Rentals
- Recreation Bowl
- Recreation / Meeting Room
- Basketball & Volleyball Courts
Nearby attractions + services:
- Beach Bouy Leisure Rentals
- Cultus Lake Water Park
- Cultus Lake Amusement Park
- Pub and Cold Beer and Wine Store
- Ice Cream parlours
- Public Beach
- Public boat launch
- Convenience store (full grocery stores are located in Chilliwack)
- Golf, mini golf and putting courses
- Trails – walking, hiking, mountain bikes, dirt bikes
- Saturday Market in the Park
- Paddle board, peddle boat rentals
- gas station
Sunnyside Campground is such a great place for family fun. Kids won’t run out of things to do, they’ll have lots of friends to play with all summer…and so will you! It’s not for people who want to be silently alone in nature but don’t be put off by the large size. I never felt crowded. As a family, we had bike rides, walks and meals where we were all alone. There is plenty to do if you’re feeling active and social but on the other hand, there is quiet and space to relax in a hammock with a book and a cold drink!
Check out their website here for more information such as rates, availability and policies!